I’ve gotten a bit off track with the old diet lately – been tempted by a few too many treats – and I’m feeling it.
So, I’ve given myself a good talking to and gotten back into a more sensible eating regime. Knowing, however, that my sweet tooth tends to get the better of me (particularly when I’m stressed), I thought I’d whip up a batch of something sweet, but healthy, to get me through the rough spots.
They may not be the prettiest snacks on the block, but these Raw Chocolate Almond Balls sure pack a punch in terms of nutrition. Containing almonds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, tahihi, cinnamon and raw cacao, they are a protein and anti-oxidant power-house. Popping one or two of these a day when you get the munchies is the perfect way to satisfy the cravings and sustain your energy.
Thanks to Mind Body Green for this recipe. The good thing about it is that it’s pretty flexible. You can mix and match the seeds and nuts depending on what you have in the pantry. Don’t have almond butter? Use any other nut butter of your choice (I have to admit to adding a dollop of good old-fashioned peanut butter in the absence of a healthier version). Want to add some dried fruits? Go for it – try throwing in a few cranberries, goji berries or dried apricots. Don’t like the taste of stevia? Try some pure maple syrup or honey instead. You get the picture…
Just so you know, the mixture is quite dry. There’s nothing wrong with that per se, but if you prefer a slightly softer, chewier ball, try adding one or two Medjool dates – you’ll probably find they provide all the sweetening you need as well. Enjoy!
RAW CHOCOLATE ALMOND BALLS
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut (or to taste)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp almond butter (or your preferred nut butter) https://theskillfulcook.com/honey-roasted-nut-butter-with-sea-salt/
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp stevia (or try pure maple syrup or honey instead)
- Optional: 1 or 2 Medjool dates
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and mix (I suggest you taste first before adding the sweetener so you can adjust the amount).
- Roll mixture into small balls, approximately 1 tablespoon per ball.
- Eat instantly or refrigerate.