Breakfast is definitely my favourite meal of the day – there are just so many delicious and healthy options to choose from and an unending number of variations. Bircher Muesli is a firm favourite – I love the soft, sweet mix of fruit, nuts and oats and prefer it to the hard, crunchy granola style muesli.
I already have a lovely Bircher Muesli recipe on this site, but for the life of me, I keep forgetting to soak the oats overnight! So I was excited to see this quick version by Louise Pickford on Taste.com.au – you simply toss all the ingredients together and soak for a mere 15 minutes, douse it in a tangy berry sauce, and Bob’s your uncle.
I adapted the recipe only slightly, adding a touch of cinnamon for further flavour. The great news is that the recipe is totally flexible – use whatever ingredients you prefer and have on hand. For instance, I had some frozen strawberries in the freezer which I used for the sauce – total yum! Of course, if you’re in a hurry, you could omit the sauce altogether and just add a few berries on top. Enjoy!
QUICK BIRCHER MUESLI WITH BERRY SAUCE
- 1 Blender
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 100 g mixed nuts (such as almonds, macadamias and pistachios), chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 50 g mixed dried fruits (such as cherries, cranberries, sultanas and raisins)
- 1 red apple, cored, grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste (optional)
- 2 cups apple juice (or orange juice)
- 1 cup low-fat Greek or standard plain yoghurt
- Optional: A couple of tablespoons of Date Puree (if you fancy a bit more sweetness)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 120 g punnet raspberries or any favourite berries
- Place the oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruits, apple, cinnamon (if using), juice, yoghurt and date puree (if using) in a bowl. Stir well to combine, then allow to soak for 15 minutes until softened slightly (of course, if you have more time up your sleeve, let it sit longer – the longer you leave it, the softer and more flavoursome it will be).
- Meanwhile, place the honey and berries (reserving a few to serve) in a blender and whiz until smooth.
- Divide the bircher muesli among serving bowls and top with a drizzle of berry sauce. Serve garnished with the reserved berries.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?