Breakfast is definitely my favourite meal of the day – there are just so many delicious and healthy options to choose from and an unending number of variations. Bircher Muesli is a firm favourite – I love the soft, sweet mix of fruit, nuts and oats and prefer it to the hard, crunchy granola style muesli.
I already have a lovely Bircher Muesli recipe on this site, but for the life of me, I keep forgetting to soak the oats overnight! So I was excited to see this quick version by Louise Pickford on Taste.com.au – you simply toss all the ingredients together and soak for a mere 15 minutes, douse it in a tangy berry sauce, and Bob’s your uncle.
I adapted the recipe only slightly, adding a touch of cinnamon for further flavour. The great news is that the recipe is totally flexible – use whatever ingredients you prefer and have on hand. For instance, I had some frozen strawberries in the freezer which I used for the sauce – total yum! Of course, if you’re in a hurry, you could omit the sauce altogether and just add a few berries on top. Enjoy!
QUICK BIRCHER MUESLI WITH BERRY SAUCE
- 1 Blender
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 100 g mixed nuts (such as almonds, macadamias and pistachios), chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 50 g mixed dried fruits (such as cherries, cranberries, sultanas and raisins)
- 1 red apple, cored, grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste (optional)
- 2 cups apple juice (or orange juice)
- 1 cup low-fat Greek or standard plain yoghurt
- Optional: A couple of tablespoons of Date Puree (if you fancy a bit more sweetness)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 120 g punnet raspberries or any favourite berries
- Place the oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruits, apple, cinnamon (if using), juice, yoghurt and date puree (if using) in a bowl. Stir well to combine, then allow to soak for 15 minutes until softened slightly (of course, if you have more time up your sleeve, let it sit longer – the longer you leave it, the softer and more flavoursome it will be).
- Meanwhile, place the honey and berries (reserving a few to serve) in a blender and whiz until smooth.
- Divide the bircher muesli among serving bowls and top with a drizzle of berry sauce. Serve garnished with the reserved berries.