There are times in your life when you need chocolate cake and you need it now! No faffing about in the kitchen for an hour and a half – five minutes is more what you had in mind.
And this is when you turn to chocolate cake in a mug. I know.. I know.. there are some pretty bad recipes out there, and I’ve tried a few of them. But this one, from Scoochmaru at Instructables.com actually delivers a darn good rich and chocolatey cake.
It’s all in the quality of the cocoa and chocolate I reckon, along with the oil which ensures a moist texture. The timing in the microwave is what will take a little testing – each microwave is different. But, really, can we complain about having to try the recipe out a few times to make sure we get it right? I didn’t think so…
FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp good quality unsweetened cocoa (I used dark cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp whisked egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract or other flavouring
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the mug and mix. Add the egg and combine well.
- Stir in the milk and oil. Add chocolate chips and splash of vanilla. Stir well.
- Microwave for 3 minutes in a 1000w oven, or 4 minutes in a 700w oven*. It will start to rise over the top of the mug, but if your mug is big enough it shouldn’t spill over.
- Take the mug out and let the cake cool a little.
- You can eat it straight out of the mug (if time is of the essence!) or you can turn it out onto a serving plate and serve with whipped cream or ice cream and perhaps some chocolate sauce for kicks.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?