There are times in your life when you need chocolate cake and you need it now! No faffing about in the kitchen for an hour and a half – five minutes is more what you had in mind.
And this is when you turn to chocolate cake in a mug. I know.. I know.. there are some pretty bad recipes out there, and I’ve tried a few of them. But this one, from Scoochmaru at Instructables.com actually delivers a darn good rich and chocolatey cake.
It’s all in the quality of the cocoa and chocolate I reckon, along with the oil which ensures a moist texture. The timing in the microwave is what will take a little testing – each microwave is different. But, really, can we complain about having to try the recipe out a few times to make sure we get it right? I didn’t think so…
FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp good quality unsweetened cocoa (I used dark cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp whisked egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract or other flavouring
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the mug and mix. Add the egg and combine well.
- Stir in the milk and oil. Add chocolate chips and splash of vanilla. Stir well.
- Microwave for 3 minutes in a 1000w oven, or 4 minutes in a 700w oven*. It will start to rise over the top of the mug, but if your mug is big enough it shouldn’t spill over.
- Take the mug out and let the cake cool a little.
- You can eat it straight out of the mug (if time is of the essence!) or you can turn it out onto a serving plate and serve with whipped cream or ice cream and perhaps some chocolate sauce for kicks.