This ultra-scrumptious no-churn Fruit & Nut ice cream has become a traditional treat in our household at Christmas time (thanks to Christmas falling in our summer!).
It’s so simple – all up it takes about 20 minutes to make and it’s pretty much fool-proof – just mix everything together in one bowl and you’re done. I like serving it with fresh berries (preferably strawberries) which serve as a nice counter-balance to the sweetness (and it is very sweet!) of the ice cream.
You can use any alcohol that takes your fancy if you don’t have (or like) orange liqueur. Or, if you want to make it without alcohol, just use fruit or citrus juice instead. Lastly, it does have an awful lot of dried fruit in it which can make it a bit of a full-on chew-fest! So, sometimes I leave out the pineapple and dates, and just go with cherries, raisins, almonds and pistachios.
Thanks to Sunbeam Foods.com.au for this recipe. It wouldn’t be Christmas without it!
EASY FRUIT & NUT ICE CREAM
- ½ cup glace cherries
- 1/3 cup dried pineapple pieces, chopped
- ½ cup dates, chopped
- ¾ cup raisins
- 5 Tbsp slivered almonds, toasted
- 2/3 cup pistachios, toasted
- 50 ml Cointreau or other orange liqueur (optional)
- 6-7 drops vanilla essence
- 300 g sweetened condensed milk
- 500 ml fresh heavy cream
- Lightly oil a 24cm x 13.5cm loaf tin and line smoothly with plastic wrap.
- In a bowl, combine the fruit and toasted nuts, liqueur, vanilla and condensed milk and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the cream to soft peaks and fold into the fruit mixture.
- Tip into the prepared tin and cover with a double thickness of plastic wrap. Then wrap the entire tin with foil.
- Place in the freezer until very firmly set, or at least 12 hours. Slice thickly to serve or, alternatively, use an ice cream scoop.