Citrus is perhaps my favourite flavouring for desserts.. yes, even more than chocolate. I can eat anything lemon flavoured till the cows come home. And nothing says ‘lemon’ more to me than lemon curd.
It’s amazingly versatile and one of the things I like to do with it is to make lemon mousse. I really like this recipe from Delicious Magazine.co.uk, in particular because of the boozy lemon curd sauce over top which provides an extra ‘kick’.
Sadly, we don’t have Fromage Frais here in New Zealand, so a substitute is required – you could use Greek yoghurt, or equal parts plain yoghurt and lite cottage cheese. Or, you could simply use plain old whipped cream. At the end of the day it’s down to personal taste. Cream adds richness; yoghurt/cottage cheese adds more bite.
I’ve also taken liberties with the quantities. For instance, I like a good burst of lemony deliciousness, so I use 250-300g lemon curd which I make myself. The good thing is there is some leeway with this recipe, so feel free to adapt according to your own preferences. In the meantime, I’ve left the recipe as is so you can decide for yourself.
CREAMY LEMON CURD MOUSSE
- 8.8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 7 oz Fromage Frais (or substitute such as Greek yoghurt or plain yoghurt/cottage cheese)
- 6.1 oz lemon curd
- Good squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 large egg white (or 2 smaller ones)
- 6 tbsp lemon or orange liqueur (I used 3 tbsp orange liqueur & 3 Tbsp lemon juice)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mascarpone, Fromage Frais (or yoghurt/cottage cheese, but not cream if you’re using it) and 100g of the lemon curd until smooth. Add the lemon juice and whisk briefly. Rinse the beaters.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white/s until stiff and gently fold this into the lemon curd mixture. *(If you’re adding cream, this is where you’d add it – see note below).
- Divide between 6 small glasses, dishes or ramekins. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining curd with the liqueur to give a smooth sauce. Spoon a little over each mousse and serve with your favourite biscuits (I served with Orange and Almond Tuiles).
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?