This is one of those comforting, go-to dishes whenever I want a quick, yet delicious lunch for one.
There are loads of kedgeree recipes out there, but some of them are quite laborious and when I’m hungry, I just want to throw together a few simple ingredients with minimal fuss.
Fresh salmon is my all-time favourite fish and I find it a superb (and much healthier) alternative to smoked fish in this dish. And, I have to admit that normally I don’t measure anything out – I simply throw a handful of this in, or a sprinkle of that, depending on how hungry I am, or how seasoned I want the dish. But in the interests of sharing a recipe I have done my best to include actual measurements. Hope you enjoy.
- 1 large egg or two small ones
- A small or half salmon fillet, depending on size
- ½ – 1 tsp curry powder (depending on strength of powder and personal taste)
- ⅓- ½ cup rice (I prefer Basmati)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your eggs in a small saucepan on high heat until they’re hard-boiled.
- In the meantime, pan fry your salmon fillet – skin side first. You should aim for slightly pink and soft in the middle and a nice crunchy skin – just a few minutes each side depending on the thickness. Put aside to rest.
- Take the cooked eggs out of the saucepan and put aside to cool – don’t throw the water out. Carefully take out a tablespoon of the hot water, put it into a small dish and add the curry powder to it, stirring it to make a paste – put aside.
- Put the saucepan with the remaining water back onto the heat to come to a boil. Add the salt and the rice (add more water if needed), and cook till done.
- In the meantime, chop your parsley and put aside. Peel and slice the eggs and put aside. Roughly chop the salmon fillet and put aside.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain off the water and rinse the rice. Put it back onto a low heat to warm through. Add the curry paste and mix through. Fold through the chopped parsley, sliced eggs and the salmon pieces. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?