New Year’s Day – woke up and thought I’d make a cake. I’m not really a cake eater, but it’s fun occasionally to make one, especially in a Bundt pan! I love the various shapes Bundt pans come in these days and one day I’m going to invest in one of the fancy ones (they’re not cheap!).
Today I felt like trying out Michelle Keogh’s Coffee & Walnut cake recipe from her cook book ‘Bundt’ from Penguin Books, 2012. It was lovely, especially with the coffee icing glaze (it makes a lot of this, but you’ll want to pour it liberally over your piece of cake as you’re eating it!) and it went down a treat with the family.
COFFEE & WALNUT BUNDT CAKE
- 4 tsp instant coffee
- 4 fl oz hot water
- 8 oz butter
- 7 oz soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz ground walnuts (I processed mine in the food processor)
- 3 oz chopped walnuts
- 9 oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 2 fl oz hot water
- 9 oz icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F). Grease and flour a 10 cup (2.4 L/5 pt) bundt pan.
- Dissolve the instant coffee in the hot water and set aside to cool.
- Place the butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium–high speed until the mixture is pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the ground and the chopped walnuts, and stir to combine well. Sift half the flour over the mixture and add half the coffee. Fold in until just combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and coffee.
- Pour into the pan and bake in the centre of the oven for 35–40 minutes (mine actually took a good 50 minutes), or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer the cooled cake to a serving plate.
- To make the coffee glaze, dissolve the instant coffee in the hot water. Sift the icing sugar over and stir to combine. Pour over the cake.
- Serve with a good dollop of whipped cream.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?