This is a delicious, thick and creamy soup which I’ve been making for years now, thanks to the great recipe book ‘The Soup Bible’, edited by Debra Mayhew, 2007.
It’s got loads of healthy ingredients in it – chickpeas, tahini, spinach, garlic and potatoes – so it’s a nourishing, yet super yummy meal. It has a great blend of spices too, and because I love the added ‘kick’ that chorizo gives, I added a couple of sausages in as well, though that’s entirely optional. Enjoy!
CHICKPEA, POTATO AND SPINACH SOUP
- 1 Blender
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 12 oz potatoes, finely chopped
- 15 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 2/3 cup double cream
- 2 Tbsp light tahini
- 7 oz spinach, shredded
- Optional: Spicy sausage (I used two chorizo sausages, sliced thinly – omit if vegetarian)
- Salt, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the garlic and onion for about 5 minutes or until the onion is softened and golden brown.
- Stir in the ground cumin and coriander and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and potatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
- Blend together the cornflour, cream and tahini. Stir into the soup with the spinach and spicy sausage (if using). Bring to the boil, stirring, and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled with a little extra cayenne pepper.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?