I thought I was being very un-chic all these years when I made Broccoli Soup with just broccoli and water. Turns out, I’m very much in vogue.
Gordon Ramsay, no less, makes his broccoli soup much the same as I do, with very few ingredients, allowing the broccoli to take centre stage. Believe me, broccoli totally delivers on creaminess and flavour without the need for additional extras. That said, if you’re entertaining, you might want to go with Gordon’s suggestion and add goat’s cheese and walnuts, but that’s entirely optional. I didn’t have any walnuts or goat’s cheese, so I just went with a creamy blue cheese instead.
- 1 Blender
- 1 large or two medium broccoli heads (as fresh as possible)
- 3 tsp salt
- Ground Black Pepper (4-5 turns on the grind wheel)
- Water (enough to cover the broccoli)
- Goat’s Cheese – 2 slices per bowl (Optional)
- Walnuts – about 5 per bowl (Optional)
- Olive Oil
- Put water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the salt and broccoli (best if you cut it into manageable florets) and boil for about 4 minutes, keeping the lid on the pot.
- When the broccoli is tender, it’s done. Carefully transfer the broccoli to a blender, but don’t throw away the water – that’s your stock! Pour enough of the stock to fill the blender about half way. Use the pulse on the blender to begin combining the broccoli and water, then go ahead and puree. Add more water, if you like your soup a bit thinner. Note: If you don’t have a blender, or if you’re just basically lazy like me, you can use a metal stick blender to blitz the soup directly in the saucepan. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour soup into shallow bowl. If you want to do the fancy cheese version, you can watch the video I’ve included above to see how it’s done. Otherwise, I just crumbled in some blue cheese on the soup, so didn’t require any advance preparation! If you like, you can drizzle in some olive oil over top. Serve with some chunky bread – yum.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?